Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Introducing The Hub

hub.metblogs

If Metblogs is a city, hub.metblogs is the playground. We kept hearing from people that one of their favorite parts of Metblogs was meeting and interacting with readers and writers from other parts of the world, as well as getting requests for more ways that readers could be involved besides just posting comments. We thought about this for a while and decided that with a network like this, a giant community area where folks from all over the world could hang out, post photos and videos, talk with each other, form groups, play games, send messages, and do about a million other things was probably a pretty fun idea. The Hub is that.

If you have any tech ideas or suggestions join this group and speak up. See you on hub.metblogs!

25 (well, almost) Things to Do This Weekend!

This MUST be one of the top weekends for planning outdoor events in Philadelphia. I mean, there are tons of things I want to attend, and I hope I can get to half of them.

Friday is National Bike to Work Day. Dust it off! Nutter gives out free coffee and bagels: 7:30 – 9:30 a.m., while supplies last.

Saturday, I’m getting up early, because of the day’s lineup. First off, there’s a flea market at Gloria Dei Church (Old Swede’s, at Columbus & Christian), from 8-3. Behind the brick walls lies one of the area’s oldest churches and cemeteries. You can get a tour of the church, hear the Mummer’s Choir at noon, indulge in some chili, hot dogs, and, of course, soft pretzels. “The Best Fleas at the Oldest Church”

Another Flea Market: 10th & South, 9-5.

Next up – The Italian Market Festival. You should know where this is: south 9th Street. (Saturday & Sunday, 10-5). I went last year, and was surprised at the diverse performances of dancers, singers, etc. There are all types of arts & crafts, foods, and wares in general being sold on the street. Tasty!

I wish I could be 3 places at once. (more…)

Greenies

Some people say they’ve got the blues. I’ve got the greens. No only have I realized that I look good in bright green lately, but I’ve also noticed that Philadelphia and this country is finally realizing, hopefully not too late, that we need to go “green.” This is a bandwagon I am happy to jump on. There are so many ways you can reduce your negative environmental impact. As I’m watching “Today,” which is showing me numerous ways you can go green, I get a message from a friend about LocalHarvest, an organization who is educating the masses on how you can learn about and buy locally grown food products. (The Ethicurean is also good!) I started with a lightbulb change (incandescent to compace flourescent). Now I try as hard as possible not to use plastic bags. I’m currently using a tote bag, a granny cart (I’ll be pimping this soon), and reusing bags I already have.

Selling my car was a big decision, but how often did I really need it? If you live and work in the city, why not join Philly CarShare? This May, they’ll be sponsoring a challenge for you Philadelphia drivers to find alternative ways to get around. You can win a bike! (Please don’t ride it on the sidewalk)!

I was out of town after the Philly Spring Clean-up, but have found the results of the largest United States cleaning day in history. This Nutter’s on to something! All major goals were surpassed. Look out for future clean-ups. Here’s a beautifying event, sponsored by Greater Philadelphia Cares.

One final note: Keep your eyes peeled for GreenFest Philly, held on South Street. I haven’t been able to find the date of the event yet, but check back for updates! (September-ish)

Senator Clinton Wins PA Primary, Farnese Wins 1st District Senate Seat

In one of the most exciting primary elections in recent history, Senator Clinton (NY) takes the PA primary with a 10 point lead over Senator Obama (IL).

While Obama overwhelmingly won the support of Philadelphians (65% to Clinton’s 35%), Clinton proved that she is the clear choice for Pennsylvanians state-wide. Being a huge supporter of Senator Clinton, I listened intently to her victory speech last night. She said one thing that really stuck in my mind (not verbatim), “…I’ve seen parent’s with their daughters saying – See? You can be anything you want to be.”

On an even more local level, Larry Farnese won the 1st District Senate Seat – proudly representing South Philadelphia. While I voted for Anne Dicker, I was very satisfied that union boss John Dougherty did not clinch the victory. Dougherty also “killed” more trees then Farnese and Dicker – and if anyone knows, I am all about greening South Philadelphia.

PHILLY SPRING CLEANUP – SATURDAY APRIL 5TH

Mayor Michael Nutter is encouraging all Philadelphia residents to join him in a city-wide cleanup. Tomorrow, Saturday April 5th, between 9am and 2pm, thousands of people will be out and about showing their dedication to beautifying the city. Post cleanup, Mayor Nutter will be hosting a BBQ at Lincoln Financial Field in South Philadelphia. Volunteers ride SEPTA for FREE to the BBQ and back home. Check out this link for details on how to help: http://www.phillycleanup.com/pages/Home.asp?Section=Home

A request.

Dear commuters who share a car, train, bus, subway or trolley with others,

Brush your teeth before you leave in the morning. Maybe even throw in a little mouth wash. No on wants to smell your nasty bacteria-laden stankbreath. This goes double for those who also share offices or cubicles in close proximity.

Thank you.

Studio 34 Grand Opening Week

This week marks the opening of a new arts and wellness community center in West Philly called Studio 34, so named for its convenient location on the Rt 34 trolley.

According to their website:

Studio 34 serves as a hub, both online and onsite, for healing, art and wellness information. We want people to be well—period. We collaborate with other healing and arts organizations, including practitioners of eastern and western medicine, to host workshops in several healing arts, music and creative arts events, support groups, and community meetings.

To celebrate, many yoga and pilates classes this week (March 22-29) are free! The grand opening party is Saturday, March 29 from 7-11 p.m. with live music from the Citywide Specials and Walt Bibinger with Jessi Teich.

Philly Spring Cleanup – April 5

Mayor Michael Nutter is inviting you, citizens of Philadelphia, to help cleanup the city of Philadelphia, on April 5, from 9a.m. to 2p.m.

Here are his goals:
Recruit over 10,000 volunteers
Clean up 5,000 neighborhood blocks
Clean more than 50 commercial corridors along major thoroughfares
Clean 10 neighborhood recreation centers
Clean 10 areas in Fairmount Park
Remove over 1 million pounds of trash and litter from across the city!

If you’ve ever wanted to help out in making this city better, this is a great way to begin. It is very easy to sign up. I, for one, would be very happy for Philly to lose the reputation of “Philthadelphia.” Besides, aren’t we trying to become a green city?

We’re a Mean One Mr. Forbes

Forbes magazine took it upon itself to create a list of the most miserable cities based on the Misery Index and the Misery Score compiling a list on Forbes.com. Evidently we are #5.

How miserable is Philly? The residents of the City of Brotherly Love once booed Santa Claus and pelted him with snowballs at an Eagles game. Maybe it’s the long commutes, violent crime and plethora of toxic waste sites that has people grumpy. Philadelphia scored in the top 20 in all three areas.

As if Forbes telling us we are a miserable bunch wasn’t enough the LA Metbloggers have decided that we suck based on this list with their post entitled, Detroit, New York, Philly, Chicago All Suck Worse.

Well LA let me tell you something. We tossed snowballs at Santa Claus because he was a fraud and we don’t like frauds. We enjoy our inconsistent weather. We like our long commutes. We like our tixic waste sites, we call them playgrounds. We like to dodge bullets on a daily basis because we are bad ass and we like to live on the edge. We’re not a miserable bunch, we’re happy so F off.

We’re Great….

So the American Planning Association has come out and listed their 2007 Great Streets and Great Neighborhoods and guess what? If you guessed that Philadelphia made the list you would be wrong. Instead we were beat out by…. Oh does it really matter who we were beat out by? Who actually came up with this list? Pittsburgh has one of the top ten neighborhoods in the country? Pittsburgh? Really?

C’mon we have plenty of great neighborhoods. What about…. you know that neighborhood where the guy got shot last night. You know which one I’m talking about, right? That’s a great neighborhood. And as for streets, where is the intersection of Red Lion and Roosevelt Blvd.? Or Grant And Roosevelt Blvd.? Sarcasm aside, we certainly have better neighborhoods and streets than some of the ones on their list. Screw you American Planning Association.

Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.